The Centre for Research in Infectious Diseases (CRID) is seeking a Social Scientist specialist to deliver Objective 1 of a 5-year proposal aiming at increasing local involvement, ownership, and integration of vector control implementation, surveillance and operational research for malaria elimination in Africa starting with three countries with a high malaria burden (Burkina Faso, Cameroon and Tanzania) and where centres of excellence in mosquito research and control have been established (PAMCA Phase II grant: Strengthening local capacity for malaria surveillance and elimination in Africa). The objective 1 of this project is to conduct a detailed appraisal of vector control implementation and surveillance structures, stakeholders involved and local entomology capacity in target countries accountabilities. The project is implemented and piloted in Cameroon by the Centre for Research in Infectious Diseases (CRID).
CRID is a research centre providing an excellent environment to perform high quality and internationally approved research on infectious diseases in Cameroon and Africa and contributing to capacity building by training the next generations of African scientists. Located in Yaoundé, Cameroon, we are working to fight against major infectious diseases such as malaria, sleeping sickness, yellow fever and emerging vector-borne disease as Zika or Dengue. The Social Scientist will work under the authority of the Project Coordinator.
Specifically, the Social Scientist will undertake the following activities:
- Contribute in the development, planning and implementation of qualitative research to attain Objective 1. This will include, but will not be limited to (a) contributing in the finalisation of a research tool/questionnaire (b) preparing data collection (engaging respondents and setting up interviews, note taking and recording during interviews and more as the need may arise) (c) utilizing the questionnaire to collect data in the field electronically (d) Coding and analysing the data and (e) contributing in report writing and developing visuals to convey findings and more as it as may be needed.
- Contribute to the PAMCA work streams through knowledge generation and sharing activities, with a focus on priority topic areas including analytics and practice of entomological findings over time
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis, including analysis, set up and maintenance of databases, literature reviews, lessons-learned, briefs, portfolio and operational reviews, and other activities are required.
- Help respond to requests on program briefings and priorities as they relate to knowledge and operations in entomology activities.
- Support the development and execution of learning events, including core courses, learning forums, and other initiatives for staff, clients and/or partners;
- Help facilitate formal and informal on-demand community-building initiatives that help stakeholders connect and share knowledge and practices.
- Contribute in ongoing analysis of programme impact with special attention to identifying possible adaptions necessary to take advantage of windows of opportunity;
- Contribute in writing quarterly technical reports.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree or higher in social science, anthropology or related field is required;
- At least three (3) years of work experience in the management of field monitoring, evaluation design, empirical and statistical analysis, or research in international development projects is required;
- At least two years of experience in data analysis, policy formulation, programme evaluation, and/or operational implementation;
- Operational knowledge in health (infectious diseases, malaria, community health) with country experience desirable;
- Experience in designing and operationalizing data collection tools for quantitative and qualitative data collection;
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills and competency in statistical software such as SPSS/STATA and NVIVO are preferred;
- Skills in gathering, analysing and interpreting from various sources and communicating complex data and information to a wide range or stakeholders, including analytical reports, data visualizations, is highly desirable;
- Be able to coordinate closely with the leadership to support and facilitate the implementation of knowledge management activities and use critical inputs, feedback, and assessments to inform changes in program approaches and scale-up;
- Ability to review and validate data captured in the field
- Experience in designing and implementing MEL trainings is highly desirable;
- Proficiency in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, knowledge-sharing networks is required;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a demonstrated track record of working effectively in a teamwork environment are highly desirable;
- Written and spoken fluency in French and in English is required;
Job duration: 12 months
Job start date: July 2020
Constitution of the file
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
- Photocopy of diplomas
- A reference letter
- A copy of national identification card or passport