WHO WE ARE
Welcome to the Centre for Research in Infectious Diseases (CRID) website. This website has been designed to inform visitors about the CRID's vision, activities and work. It is also the channel used to reduce the distances separating research professionals and beneficiaries from the results of this research.
It is important to start these lines by introducing ourselves to you: we are all members of the CRID with various statuses: researchers, teachers, administrators, technicians, PhD students, postdocs, and trainees.
One of our main objectives is to put in place an appropriate research environment to facilitate high quality research on infectious diseases in Cameroon and to contribute to capacity building by training the next generations of Cameroonian scientists and others African countries.
It is in this perspective of pursuit of excellence that the CRID, in its various departments, ensures to acquire highly qualified researchers, meeting the requirements of the environment and able to use efficiently the state-of-the-art technical platform available in the research centre. It is therefore thanks to a young, passionate, motivated team that believes in their field that the CRID can look serenely towards the future, which offers us new challenges for research and teaching.
For you, students, who wish to join us for a doctoral thesis or a master's internship,
For you, future scientific and academic partners, who discover our site,
I wish you a good navigation and invite you to contact us to share together our values (scientific excellence, intellectual honesty, integrity) and our desire to move forward.
Our vision, mission and values
To save life through quality research and capacity building in infectious and tropical diseases.
To contribute to the fight against infectious diseases in Africa through knowledge and product development, and capacity building in infectious diseases research in a disease endemic environment.
- Improving health through excellence in Science and partnership
- Leading quality science in infectious Diseases
- Delivering our goals through an ethical ethos based on accountability, equality and honesty
- Creating a dynamic and productive place to work and for training
Our strategic goals
Establishment of a suitable research environment to facilitate high quality research on infectious diseases in Cameroon;
Contribute to Capacity building by training the next generations of scientists from Cameroon and other African countries;
Perform local technical assistance activities to support monitoring and surveillance activities of various control programs at local and international levels;
To promote Cooperation with National and International research institutions, universities and Non-Governmental Organizations working in the field of infectious diseases;
Establish a platform to facilitate the design and implementation of control activities against infectious diseases using multi-disciplinary approaches and integrating partners from different sectors including academic, governmental and private sectors;
OUR CORE FACILITIES
The CRID provides access to many work areas with expertise in research on vector diseases. The facilities of the unit include:
- Rearing of various species of mosquitoes
- Bioassay test (cone assay and WHO tube bioassay)
- Genotyping of insecticide resistance mechanisms (PCR, Taqman)
- Quantification of the genes (RT-qPCR)
- Functional characterization of the candidate genes (Transgenic flies, RNAi)
- Experimental field station
REARING OF MOSQUITOES IN THE INSECTARYOur insectary provides a high quality rearing environment in which researcher and students can easily and safely rear the mosquitoes for further analysis.
Susceptibility profile of vector populationOur research centre provides an appropriate and clean area to perform bioassay test using tube assay and the net following the standard protocol of WHO. Our bioassay room is very well equipped with higher quality of materials such as humidifier, air conditioner…
Functional characterization of the genesAnesthesic station and injection (mosquitoes and flies)
Needle (for RNAi) machineIn our research centre we have an equipment for the functional characterisation of the genes using transgenic flies (GAL4/UAS system) and RNAi.
- Protocol designing,
- Data analysis,
- Tube bioassays, cone bioassays and any other bioassays in relation with a special protocol using Anopheles funestus and Anopheles gambiae,
- Assess the efficacy and the performance of LLINS using experimental huts against Anopheles funestus and Anopheles gambiae,
- Assess the efficacy and the performance of IRS using experimental huts against Anopheles funestus and Anopheles gambiae.